Monday, October 1, 2012

Introduction...

I am a mother of 3, 2 of my kids and myself are on a gluten free/casein free diet at the moment which I tend to find quite frustrating at times (especially the no dairy part). -> You have to understand, I am french!! No baguette and no cheese for me?? Unthinkable! And yet it's the harsh reality... :-(
My older son (9 1/2) is autistic, and gluten/casein intolerant (as evidenced by his blood work when he was about 2 1/2), he is also allergic to soy to make things a tad more complicated... ;-) He has been on a gfcf diet since he was 2 1/2 years old.
My younger son (3 1/2) has Asperger's syndrome (a "lighter form of autism" if you like) and he has been put on this diet since he was born ( actually since he was in my belly!) as a preventive measure (and because of the family history) and he stayed on this diet thanks to his diagnosis... He might be slightly intolerant to almonds but we haven't done the blood work yet.
For my part, my blood work showed no problem with gluten, just an intolerance to casein, but it has become obvious over the last couple of years that I am sensitive to gluten. I also have some intolerances like coconut, pineapple, and banana apparently (no piña colada for me!!). When I was pregnant with my youngest son I went on a gluten free/dairy free diet as a way to help prevent autism* and after he was born I went back to my old ways and quickly regretted it (and gained weight). After trying to get back on the gfcf diet a couple of times only to fall off the wagon again, I am now following it rather seriously with only very occasional slips... (damned french cheese...).
I have had fibromyalgia for a long time, and have more recently been diagnosed with ADHD and it has become obvious to me that whatever I eat also makes a difference in my symptoms.

So this blog is just a way to keep track of my recipes and share them (and occasional experiments...) with others following this diet. I will also post reviews from books and products we love and that make our gfcf life easier and more enjoyable!... :-), and share links to other websites of interest. Because we all need diversity and fun in the kitchen. :-)

If you ever have a question you can contact me via e-mail (on my profile page) or leave me a comment with your e-mail address.

(* 80% of autistic kids responds positively to a gfcf diet, as they often suffer from leaky gut syndrome -> gluten  and casein (a milk protein) act as opioïds on the brain in this situation, and removing them helps lift some of the fog). Following a gfcf diet during the pregnancy protects the baby from exposure to those possible toxins.
It is also good to note that gluten can take up to 9 months to be completely gone from your body even after you stop eating it, and is unfortunately present everywhere, from beauty products to medications. Some people are sensitive to even tiny amounts, and more and more people nowadays are "gluten sensitive" a term finally recognized by the medical community, without necessarily having celiac disease.)

No comments:

Post a Comment