Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Lemon Cake


Ingredients:

* 1 cup rice flour              
* 1/2 cup tapioca starch    
* 1/2 cup potato starch      
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 cup sugar (I used raw & organic)
* 1/2 cup ground raw cashews or almonds
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* zest and juice of one lemon
* 2/3 cup water (minus the lemon juice amount. I ended up with 1/3 C lemon juice + 1/3 C water)
* 1/2 cup Smart Balance (the original one which is gluten free and dairy free (and soy free))
* 2 xtra large eggs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. After mixing all the dry ingredients together, add the wet ingredients and mix with an electric hand mixer. Pour into a greased 9" baking pan (I used a Pyrex glass dish), and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, till it's golden brown on top and a knife inserted in the middle is only slightly wet.

Tips:

Grind the nuts in a coffee grinder that you keep for GF use.
This would also be delicious with 2 Tsp poppy seeds added to the batter.
To make a classic yellow cake, omit the lemon zest and juice and add vanilla extract instead.
To make an almond cake, omit the lemon zest (but keep the juice) and add almond extract.
I plan on trying the almond version with cherries in it next time... :-)


I made this yesterday night as I was in a lemony kind of mood. I adapted a recipe for yellow cake, it was delicious if you omit the fact that I put way too much salt in it... >.<

No comments:

Post a Comment